Overview Of Almora
Almora is known for cultural diversity. The two great dynasties- Katyuri & Chand ruler had ruled the region & Almora was their seat of power. The place has still maintained its ancient glory which manifest from its historical monuments, forts, royal courts & even from architecture of houses. The place entices the visitors by salubrious dense pine & Oak forest, lofty verdant mountains, fruit orchards & spectacle Himalayas view.
Places to see at Almora:
- Nanda Devi Temple: It is almost thousand years old temple & one of the revered deity of the region. The carvings on the walls of this temple are exquisite. Here every year, the grand Nanda Devi fair is organized.
- Hitai Golu Devta Temple: Located 08 Kms away from main city. The temple is dedicated to Golu Devta. The devotees practice the ritual of handing bell in the temple to fulfill their wish, there are several bell hanging in the temple.
- Katarmal Sun Temple: It is situated at 20 Kms from Almora. It was built by Katyuri king in 9th century. It is second Sun temple after Konark.
- Bright End Corner: It is famous place for the pleasant view of sunrise& sunset.
- Kasar Devi Temple: It is located at hillock with distance of 18 Kms from main city. The spot offers excellent view of Almora city & 360 degree lucid view of Himalayas.
- Govind Ballabh Pant Public Museum: The museum is near to Bus Stand. It has a rich collection of archaeological items & collection of historical and cultural work, collection of folk style of painting. It provides an insight to the development of art, culture and lifestyle of the region.
- Deer Park: Park is approx 03 Kms from Almora. The park has rich flora & Fauna & houses various species like deer, Himalayan Black bear & etc.
Activities at Almora:
- Nature walk: Best way to explore the surrounding is to take refreshing short nature walk.
- Cycling tour: Region vicinity to Binsar Wildlife sanctuary (approx 25 Kms) offers best opportunity for motor biking. The trail is bestowed with vivid fauna & flora passing through well laid path, rigorous terrain & thick laden forests.
- Savour the local authentic Kumaoni cuisine: It is retreat for food lovers who can
How to reach to Almora:
Nearest railway station is Kathgodam located at distance of 85 Kms approx.
Pantnagar airport is closest airport which is 120 Kms approx.
||330 Kms (approx)
||190 Kms (approx)
||4300 Kms (approx)
||500 Kms (approx)
Best time to visit:
Mar - Nov
Summers & Monsoon are best seasons to enjoy at Almora. Summers are mild & during monsoon, the place is filled with deep & fresh greenery.