Overview of Lohaghat
It is tiny idyllic & scenic hill station located at 29.4042Â° N, 80.0842Â° E at Champawat district of Uttrakhand at an altitude of 1745 mts from sea level. The place is enraptured in peaceful environ & endowed with immense natural gifts dotted with dense salubrious deodar forest, stunning landscape & view of snowy Himalayan peaks. The place poised as a fast emerging tourist centre.
Tourist places at Lohaghat
- Pancheshwar Mahadev Temple: It is sacred shrine of Lord Shiva located at confluence of River Sharda and River Kali. Devotees especially come to pay homage to the deity during The Chaitra Navratri Festival.
- Mayawati Ashram/Advaita Ashram: Located at 9 kms from Lohaghat. It is branch of Ramakrishna Math which was founded by Swami Vivekanand. Swami Vivekanand visited Almora & he was very much impressed by this place & shifted the publication office of Prabuddh Bharat from Madras to here. Even today also, the place upholds the spiritual dignity & the pilgrims from across the world visit this place.
- Meetha Reetha Sahib: It is located at a distance of 62 km from Lohaghat. At this place Guru Nanak Dev held spiritual discussion with Gorakh Panthi Yogis.
- Purnagiri Temple which is 106 kms from Lohaghat, it is one of the 108 Siddh Peeths
- Vanasur Fort: This fort is 7 kms from Lohaghat. It is believed to be the capital of Demon Vanasur, who was defeated by Lord Krishna in a battle.
- Devidhura: At Devidhura, there is famous Varahi temple where a unique tradition of Bagwal is practiced by local community on the festival of Raksha Bandhan where devotes throw stones on each other.
Activities at Lohaghat
- Nature Walk: It is an ideal place to enjoy the walk on nature trails endowed with exhilatering natural views.
- Camping: Place has many scenic campsites to enjoy the natural bounteousness.
- Yoga & meditation: Placid ambience of this sleepy hamlet is boon for peace lovers & haven for yoga enthusiasts & meditation seekers.
How to reach to Lohaghat
Nearest railway station is Tanakpur located at distance of 60 Kms approx.Pantnagar airport is closest airport which is 150 Kms approx.
||445 Kms (approx)
||220 Kms (approx)
||390 Kms (approx)
||630 Kms (approx)
Best Time to Visit:
Feb - Nov
The place can be visited throughout the year except the months of Dec & Jan due to very cold weather. The summers are mild, monsoons are misty.