Overview of Ranikhet
Ranikhet means Queens Land. Ranikhet is hill station located at Almora district; it is cantonment area of region. It is believed that Ranikhet got its name from Rani Padmini. She was extremely enthralled by the charm of this place & chose this place her residence. Ranikhet was popular hamlet for British officials also to escape from scorching summer of central India. This place is bestowed with gorgeous meadows, opulent forest of pine, oak, and deodar & panoramic view of Himalayas. All these exhilarating natural gifts will entirely refresh your mind, body & soul
Tourist places at Ranikhet
- Ashiyana Park especially designed for children on jungle theme
- Chaubatia Gardens: It is located 10 Kms from Ranikhet. This place is famous for apple orchards & plantation of apricots, peaches, chestnuts & almonds.
- Bhalu Dam: Located near to Chaubatia Garden. The idyllic feature of the dam is artificial lake which is created on this dam, embellished by majestic forests & stunning view of snow peaked value makes it perfect spot for re-energize.
- Golf Course: This golf course is one of the highest golf courses of Asia, located 5 kilometers (3 mi) from main Ranikhet City.
- There are lots of temples at Bhimtal. Mankameshwar Temple, constructed by the Kumaon regiment. Two revered Temples of Lord Shiva - Binsar Mahadev & Haidakhan Temple. Katarmal (Sun Temple), second important Sun temple after Konark, Orissa. Jhula Devi temple has also very religious importance, Goddess Durga is worshipped here, the people from far flung region come here to take the blessing & after their wishes are fulfilled they offer the bell to the temple. The temple is very renowned which is evident by number of hanging bells at the temple
Activities at Ranikhet
- Nature walk: There are Orchard of some of finest fruits as apple, apricot, plums, cherries & profuse verdant forests, diverse wildlife & bewitching sight of Himalayan peaks. All these nature splendors can be explored thoroughly through nature walks
- Paragliding: At Majhali Village near to Ranikhet you can enjoy the Paragliding.
How to reach to Ranikhet
By Train The nearest Railway Station from Ranikhet is Kathgodam Railway Station, which is located at 35 Kms away from the city.
By Flight The Pantnagar Airport is nearest domestic airport at distance of approx 60 kms from Ranikhet.
Ranikhet Distance by Surface from various cities
||290 Kms (approx)
||165 Kms (approx)
||400 Kms (approx)
||460 Kms (approx)
||550 Kms (approx)
Best time to visit the place
Jan - Dec
Ranikhet boosts pleasing weather round the year.